As a City of Atlanta retiree receiving a pension benefit, you are eligible for life insurance coverage.
Life insurance benefits are offered through Anthem Life. You and the City of Atlanta share the cost of your coverage. Please refer to the life insurance policy for detailed explanation of policy provisions.
- 2023 retiree rate sheet
To be eligible for life insurance:
- If you are the retiree, you must have had life insurance coverage as an active employee at the time of retirement.
- You must be a widow(er) or Domestic Partner of a retiree who was covered by the insurance at the time of his/her death.
- For Dependent Life Insurance, the retiree’s spouse/Domestic Partner or children must not be full-time members of the armed forces of any country.
- A widow(er) cannot cover dependents.
- $10,000 life insurance benefit for retirees
- $5,000 life insurance benefit for widowers
- Some grandfathered employees may have different amounts.
- A retiree or widow(er) who terminates his/her coverage is not eligible to return to the City plan in the future.
Spouse and Dependent Coverage
- Dependent Life Insurance also is available and provides the following coverage:
- Spouse/Domestic Partner: $5,000
- Child between birth and six months: $600
- Child between six months and 26 years: $5,000
- Note that both Spouse/Domestic Partner and child coverage cannot exceed 100% of the retiree’s amount of Basic Life insurance.
- A Surviving Spouse/Domestic Partner who is insured at the time a retiree passes away will be eligible to continue his/her $5,000 Life Insurance coverage. A retiree must have paid an additional 1% into the pension to qualify the spouse/Domestic Partner for Survivor benefits.
- All late applications will require medical underwriting approval by Anthem BCBS.
Beneficiary Designation Change
You may change your life insurance beneficiary at any time during the year by completing a Beneficiary Change form and submitting it to the DHR – Employee Benefits at 404-330-6036.
A RETIREE OR WIDOW(ER) WHO TERMINATES HIS/HER COVERAGE IS NOT ELIGIBLE TO RE-ENROLL IN THE CITY PLAN IN THE FUTURE.