The City of Atlanta provides you with a basic amount of Group Life insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance to help protect your loved ones in the event of your death.
There is an additional “In the Line of Duty” Benefit for First Responders.
The City of Atlanta also provides you with the opportunity to apply for additional life insurance from Anthem BCBS. To add dependent coverage or increase your coverage amount, you must complete an Evidence of Insurability form, available from the DHR – Employee Benefits department at 404-330-6036. These changes are subject to the approval of Anthem BCBS underwriters.
To be eligible for life insurance:
- You must be an active full-time or part-time permanent employee of the City of Atlanta.
- For Dependent Life insurance, your spouse/Domestic Partner or children must not be full-time members of the armed forces of any country.
Employee Coverage Amount
- The City provides each active employee with $40,000 in life and AD&D coverage.
- Active employees also can purchase Basic Life and AD&D insurance in the amount of 1 x base salary (no City contribution).
- The Supplemental Life plan allows you to select increments of $10,000 up to $200,000 (no City contribution). Additional supplemental coverage cannot exceed three times an employee’s annual salary.
- AD&D also is provided in an amount that is equal to the Basic Life Insurance coverage.
Spouse and Dependent Coverage Amount
Spouse/Domestic Partner and child coverage cannot exceed 100% of the employee’s amount of Basic Life insurance.
- Spouse/Domestic Partner: $5,000
- Child between birth and six months: $600
- Child between six months and 26 years: $5,000
- A Surviving Spouse/Domestic Partner who is insured at the time an employee passes away will be eligible to continue his/her $5,000 Life Insurance coverage.
If you leave employment with the City of Atlanta, you may be eligible to continue your group life insurance from Anthem Life through the portability provision. Please see your employee benefits representative for additional information.
If your insurance ends because your employment terminates, you may be eligible to convert the terminated coverage to an individual life insurance policy without providing evidence of insurability. Please see your employee benefits representative for additional information.
If You Become Terminally Ill
Under the Accelerated Benefit provisions, you may be eligible to receive up to 100% of your Basic Life insurance and Supplemental Life insurance (up to a maximum of $1,000,000) if you become terminally ill, have a life expectancy of less than 12 months, and meet other eligibility requirements. This benefit allows you to use the proceeds as you desire—whether to cover medical expenses or to maintain your quality of life. The amount paid under the Accelerated Benefit provision would reduce the amount of Basic Life insurance and Supplemental Life insurance payable upon your death.