Active Employee Eligibility
Elected officials, appointed officials, full-time, and part-time permanent employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the City of Atlanta’s health and dental plans.
Retirees, their surviving beneficiaries, and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the City of Atlanta’s health and dental plans.
Dependents of active employees and retirees must meet certain eligibility criteria to be considered. Please remember to submit supporting documentation when you add dependents. If the DHR – Employee Benefits office does not receive your documentation, your dependents will not be added.
The following is a list of eligible dependents:
- A spouse (a husband or wife who is joined in marriage to an employee or retiree by a ceremony recognized by the laws of the State of Georgia)
- A Domestic Partner (registered with the City of Atlanta)
- A dependent child through 26 years of age (coverage ends at the end of the month the child reaches age 26)
- A legally adopted child under age 26 or a child for whom you have guardianship (permanent or deemed permanent for insurance purposes)
- A stepchild under age 26 permanently residing with the employee or retiree and supported by the employee or retiree
- A child under age 26 receiving court-ordered support
- A child 26 years or older who is incapable of self-support due to mental or physical disability; and who has a permanent disability
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) participants (medical only)
Additional Dependent Eligibility Information for Retirees
- A child, after attaining age 26, who is receiving a pension check as a surviving beneficiary and is covered by the City of Atlanta Group Plan must provide full-time student documentation. When eligibility for pension benefits ends due to age or change in school enrollment status, contact the DHR – Employee Benefits at 404-330-6036 to continue coverage.
- As a surviving spouse, if you terminate coverage you will not be able to re-enroll in the City of Atlanta Benefits Plan.
- Documentation is needed if the retiree is adding a dependent or making changes in a dependent’s status.
- If both you and your spouse are insured under a City of Atlanta health/dental plan as an employee or retiree, your children may be insured as dependents of either you or your spouse, for health/dental coverage.